Christmas Tree Fire Safety Tips

December 30, 2009 | Leave a Comment

By Martine Wolfe-Miller, MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (Dec. 18, 2009) –

The Town of Mount Pleasant Fire Department would like to remind residents of simple steps they can take to ensure a safe and merry holiday season. “The holidays are a very special time of the year. Decorations and Christmas trees are festive reminders of the season and we urge all residents to use the following precautions to ensure a safe celebration,” said Fire Chief Herb Williams. “Live Christmas trees often dry out during the holiday season and can create a fire hazard if the proper steps are not taken to prevent an accident. Follow these easy safety tips and have a peaceful holiday season!”
• The tree stand should have at least one gallon of water at all times
• Place the tree at least five to seven feet away from the fireplace or any type of heating source
• Never use candles or any open flame device on or near the tree
• Always inspect the Christmas tree lights for bare wires or broken bulbs
• Turn off all electrical decorations before leaving the home or going to bed
• After parties, always check around for smoldering cigarettes and ashtrays
• Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available at all times
• Always have a working smoke detector and test it once a month
• Never overload outlets or extension cords
• Recycle your tree after the holidays


You must be logged in to post a comment.




Speak your mind